Do you often get that burning sensation in your chest after enjoying a meal? Well, you are not alone. Heartburn is the feeling you get when excess acid rises from the stomach into the esophagus. As many of you know, gastric juices, including hydrochloric acid, are released in the stomach to digest some foods.
The phrase ‘I have a heartburn’ has been said and heard by many, so much so that people just see it as just one of those side-effects that will go away. Many resort to remedies such as drinking milk, very cold water, taking anti acids among others.
Good news for heartburn prone people is that there are several healthy suggestions you can try out that will help keep heart burns away.
- Eat fruit before a meal, especially if the meal will be a heavy one, or will contain some meat. Fruit ferments and is digested faster than food. If you eat a meal before fruits, the fruit remains in the digestive tract to give the food time to be digested, therefore when the fruit ferments, the acid rises up into the esophagus and that causes your heartburn.
- Avoid fatty food.
- Sodas and other soft drinks tend to gas you up thus increasing chances of high acidity
- Include alkaline foods in your diet like alfalfa, ginger, garlic, potatoes and spinach to neutralize the acid coming from other foods
- Restrain from beverages like tea and coffee
- Avoid lying down immediately after a meal to prevent food from going back into the esophagus
Have a heartburn-free day.