It’s men’s health month, and since our men are not naturally health or wellness seeking, I might as well give them some dear and very vital information on a topic that men don’t really like talking about….. Here goes……..
Eating for conception
1. Indulge in fresh vegetables and fruits. Ensure a minimum of 2 cups of fruits and 2-3 cups of vegetables per day. This fuels your body with much needed vitamins and minerals to produce healthy sperms that will yield healthy offspring
2. Go for whole grains for example weetabix or oatmeal for breakfast and brown rice for lunch.
3. Indulge in healthy protein sources like lean meats, chicken, turkey, fish as well as plant sources like beans, nuts and seeds. Nuts and seeds have zinc which facilitates the growth of healthy sperm and hence will help ensure good sperm count.
4. Choose healthy fats i.e polyunsaturated fat sources like avocados, nuts and seeds.
5. Eat low fat dairy products like milk,yoghurt and cheese to get calcium, phosphorus, potassium and protein in plenty.
6. Avoid alcohol as this contributes to unhealthy growth of sperms
7.Avoid cigarette smoking as well as it is linked to low sperm count and low motility
8. Exercise regularly to keep your body in good condition and to help relieve stress which otherwise inhibits good sperm production
9. Manage your weight as being overweight and obese is associated with fertility problems due to hormonal imbalances